Wednesday, April 25, 2012

T is for Training

Training yourself to do anything takes time. You have to train to break bad habits and to build new ones. Writing daily is a habit, but you can form this habit by writing daily.

Recently, (okay, last week) I started training for the C25K. The first day was horrible. I could only make it through 6, 60 second runs. But the second day, I made it through 8. The third day, I did all 9.



I thought that if it gets easier and easier the more you do it, why don't I put this same concept into practice for my writing? So yesterday, I wrote for 20 minutes. Today, I wrote for 23 minutes. I do have a job and still want to run, but if I manage my time, I can do a little of everything on a regular basis.



How to Make Writing a Habit
Do this three times a week.

  • Brisk five-minute free write warmup. Write about anything: grocery list, character traits, setting.
  • Then alternate 60 seconds of writing and 90 seconds of reviewing, do this 8 times for a total of 20 minutes. 
Before you know it, you aren't stopping to review what you've written, instead you are writing for 20 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment