Saturday, April 2, 2011

Brilliant Books for Boys

My son thinks a list of books for boys, not just a list of books, should be the blog entry for B.
Ethan lugged a stack of books from his room down into the kitchen and we went through them, until they were all entered below. So here is his list of books, in no particular order.

Ethan’s list of Brilliant Books for Boys

Tangerine by Edward Bloor
(any) Percy Jackson book by Rick Riordan
Sunrise Over Fallujah by Walter Dean Myers
Pendragon series by D. J. MacHale
Viking Warrior: The Strongbow Saga by Judson Roberts
Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage
How I, Nicky Flynn, Finally Get a Life And a Dog by Art corrieveau
Wilderness by Roddy Doyle
Dear Reckoning by Laurie Lawlor
Leven Thumps series by Obert Skye

Ethan says, “All these books have action, blood, and violence. That’s what makes them great!”
(Not all of them)

Some of my choices, (though he says they don’t count):
Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko
Inexcusable by Chris Lynch
The Watson Go to Birmingham by Christopher Paul Curtis
Holes by Louis Sachar
Head Case by Sarah Aronson
Joey Pigza series by Jack Gantos

For more on Books for Boys, go to:
www.boysread.org
www.guysread.com
www.gettingboystoread.com
www.amazon.com/Book-Boys-Who-Love-Read/lm/R2JA5MMNNI7WNZ

Articles on how to get boys to read:

http://www.scholastic.com/resources/article/if-your-boy-wont-read
http://www.leeandlow.com/p/boys.mhtml

15 comments:

  1. 'Action, blood and violence.'

    *Taking notes*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I know what I can gift to boys that age group...thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list. This is such a hot topic, I think. I've read dozens of posts on what to do in books for boys. So thanks. It's nice to have a list from the source :)

    Rosie
    East for Green Eyes

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome post. My son has read several that your son has in his list. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. I must be missing your follower thing, I couldn't find it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kimberly,
    I fixed the follower thing. Thanks for pointing it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you mention how old your son was? I have a 12 year old and he's loved some of these. His current standing favorite series though, is Cirque de Freak by Darren Shan. (I convinced him to read Hunger Games, too, even though it is a female protag--he liked it)--he is an advanced 12--a grade ahead and the 2nd, so, exposed to stuff early (for example our first Harry Potter run started when he was 5). I will have to look at some of these others, though. Always looking for books he'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hart - My son is 13. Also an advanced reader. He now has a kindle and loves choosing his next download.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent resources, as a teacher of English, the biggest struggle is to get boys to want to read. If your boy loves reading, then you're definitely doing something right. :)

    Wagging Tales - Blog for Writers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Joyce,

    Thank you so much for mentioning Head Case! I really appreciate it!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sarah,
    I have always thought Head Case a fabulous book! It's also a book that opens up a topic for all to discuss.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  12. My kids loved the book "Holes" too, especially my son. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I was a boy - a long time ago-- I was all into Tom Swift and the Hardy Boys, with an occasional classic thrown in.

    I added myself to your blog followers.

    Contrary to my usual practice of subscribing to comments, to save time during challenge I will not be doing so during April. If you want to respond to my comment , please email me directly from your email notification for the comment.
    Thanks.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out
    Twitter hashtag: #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the recommendations directly from your son. (How old is he? Mine's 9 and those criteria MIGHT compel him--action, blood, and violence! Funny.) I appreciate the links as well.

    ReplyDelete